“What is most apparent is that many youthful insecurities are banished as women hit their forties.”
Skin Care Advice for Your 40’s
At Costhetics, we think 40 is fabulous, and we’re happy to say that woman agree. A survey published recently in The Daily Express found that women are more fulfilled and satisfied in their forties than at any other age in their lives, and feel as if they are 10 years younger than their chronological age.
Posted: 3 September 14
By Louisa McKay
What is most apparent is that many youthful insecurities are banished as women hit their forties. An overwhelming 81% of survey participants said they are happier with themselves than younger women.
This happiness, unfortunately, may not extend to their skin.
A Woman’s Skin at 40
Granted, at 40, a woman’s skin starts to betray her age. No longer naturally glowing and radiant as it was in her 20’s, a woman’s skin when she’s in her forties begins to look dull and lifeless. Many things contribute to this, not the least of which is decreased collagen and elastin.
Where did these essential skin compounds go? They are lost over time to the effects of age, gravity, sun exposure, environmental toxins, and lifestyle choices such as smoking.
5 Top Skincare Tips for Women Over 40
As women celebrate their 39th birthdays, they may notice that fine lines are deepening into full-fledged wrinkles. Dark spots and hyper-pigmentation may also appear. Adding to the assault on a woman’s skin is an age-appropriate hormonal flux that can lead to the appearance of redness and blotchiness.
Here are some of the ways you can fight back
- Peel Away the Years – A chemical peel removes the top layer of skin cells. It smooths facial texture and lines, and also helps to even skin tone. Like many of today’s most popular skin treatments for women over 40, chemical peels are customised by your doctor to treat your unique skin. A mild/medium chemical peel is best for uneven tone, rough texture, and fine lines, while a strong chemical peel is used to remove deep discoloration and wrinkles.
- Exfoliate with Glycolic Acid – It’s a fact of life: our bodies start to slow down when we reach 40. Skin sheds less quickly, so dead cells sit on the surface, making skin look dull and lacklustre. Regular exfoliation is a must, and many dermatologists recommend using a glycolic acid serum regularly.
- Stimulate Collagen with Fractional Resurfacing – LED and fractional resurfacing treatments performed by an aesthetic professional can restore skin’s healthy glow. As well as making your skin look smoother and more even, these treatments also make fine lines and large pores less noticeable.
- Fractional CO2 for Age Spots – After 40, the skin begins to lose its ability to self-heal, and the effects of sun exposure become more visible. Women begin to see brown spots on their face and arms, particularly if they have been careless in the use of sunscreen. Fractional CO2 treatments are effective in making sun-damaged skin appear more even in tone and smoother in texture.
- Use Intense Pulse Light (IPL) Treatments for Age Spots – Some age spots are especially dark and brown, making them challenging to treat. Intense Pulsed Light treatments work well because they remove discoloration without damaging the skin.
You may not look like you’re in your 20’s anymore, but does it matter? If you have any doubt, you’ll enjoy this blog by journalist Andy Rooney in celebration of women over 40: http://www.finding40.net/2011/12/andy-rooney-on-why-women-over-40-are-fabulous/
related news see all
Costhetics’ Guide to Supplements for Beautiful Skin17 February 16
Is your skin getting enough vitamins? read more...