Time marches on, but according to the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery as far as our beauty goes, “We have effectively hit pause on the entire process.”
As keepers of the flame and the Internet’s premier resource for cosmetic enhancement and cosmetic surgery news in Australia, Team Costhetics immediately wanted to explore this revolutionary statement. We did our research and discovered an emerging group of people dubbed “The Perennial Generation,” who use today’s innovative treatments to preserve their beauty.
Keep reading to find out if you’re one of them…
Talkin’ ‘Bout My Generation
Until now, chronology was the sole factor most of us used to define different generations, particularly in terms of cosmetic surgery and aesthetic enhancement. That definition gave us:
- Baby Boomers – aged 53-71, born during the two decades following WW2
- Generation X-ers – aged 38-52, born in the third half of the 20th Century
- Millennials – aged 22-37, born at the beginning and the end of the new century
Like the Pepsi Generation, however, the Perennial Generation is not defined by age. They’re like flowers. Annuals bloom, wither, and die. Perennials, on the other hand, look beautiful year after year after year. They don’t change their appearance, they preserve it.
Perennials (and Pepsi fans) are as young as 20 and as old as 70. Their birth date doesn’t define them, their attitudes do. First, they don’t equate youth with beauty. They understand that beauty can be found at any age. They also understand that you can’t separate health from lifestyle choices, including diet and exercise.
We have more to share on what you can do to be a blooming Perennial. First, however, we thought you’d like to discover the #1 thing Perennials do to keep themselves beautiful.
Facial “Tweakments” over Treatments
Perennials know that a rigorous campaign of skin care now can help preserve your skin’s healthy radiance for years to come. The most popular tweaks are cosmetic injectables. These simple, non-invasive treatments prevent problems before they occur and can delay the need for invasive surgeries. That fact is undoubtedly the driving force responsible for 51% of AAFPRS members seeing a growth in Millennials and Gen X-ers opting for preventative measures.
As they began to age, many Baby Boomers sought invasive surgeries and procedures to turn back the clock. Today, however, their goal is to make time stand still. They are exchanging the dramatic changes possible with facial surgery for no-knife tweakments to correct
- Thinning lips
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Cheek hollows
- Deep lines around the mouth (Marionette lines)
- Misshapen noses
- Small chins
The Daily Mail Australia put the spotlight on the idea of bespoke skin beauty treatment programs. The article pointed to the results of tweakments seen in the faces of perennial beauties Elle McPherson, Jennifer Lopez, and Cindy Crawford. An important aspect of tweakments and treatments is that both should be tailored to you and you alone. The type of right-for-everyone treatments offered at run of the mill clinics can do more harm than good.
We urge you to visit a trained, experienced professional for your next—or first—anti-ageing treatment.
How to Maintain Your Perennial Beauty
The perennial generation doesn’t want to recapture lost youth or look like red carpet celebrities and online influencers. Instead, they are celebrating exactly who and what they are, and they want to hold on to what they have for as long as possible. The AAFPRS identified these activities that people with ageless beauty share:
- A Never-ending love affair with Sunscreen – The sun is the Earth’s friend, but its rays are your skin’s enemy. UVA and UVB rays damage the elastin in your skin, leading to unwelcome fine lines and wrinkles.
- An understanding of psychodermatology (PD) – PD is an emerging medical field that explores the relationship between good skin and good feelings. For example, stress has been proven to aggravate acne, eczema, and psoriasis. Inoculate yourself with a daily dose of relaxation, be it a walk in the Botanic Gardens, a yoga class or a movie on Netflix.
Meditation is an easy, no-cost way to get in touch with your inner good feelings. If you’ve never meditated before, let YouTube be your guide. There are literally hundreds of guided meditations to help you relax and heal your skin.
- A Good, Healthy Relationship – Hold on. Hold on. Don’t send Costhetics an enraged message filled with angry emojis telling us single people have beautiful skin, too. We know. Many of our team members are single and have luminous skin. The good, healthy relationship we’re talking about has to do with food. What you put inside your body will most assuredly show on the outside.
Self Magazine has a great article on foods that have been shown to be nutrient-rich and skin-friendly.
And please, remember to love yourself. Costhetics has always been a big supporter of Perennials even before they had a name! We think all people are beautiful, whatever size or shape they’re in. You don’t have to change. You can stay exactly the way you are…with the help of today’s skin care professionals and products.