Naked. Nude. Undressed. Unclothed.
Whatever word you use to describe the state of being unattired, chances are you have some conflicted feelings about it. Where did these feelings come from? Why are we embarrassed to be seen by others? And the million-dollar question: why do we look at our own naked bodies and feel anything but love?
If Costhetics had the answer to these questions, we’d share them in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, we don’t. What we do have is the latest news and information about the topic to help you find your own answer.
A Little Bit of Naked Buys a Bunch of Benefits
Every night, you have the opportunity to give your skin a vacation from clothes. But that doesn’t mean your skin wouldn’t appreciate a mini vacation during the day. Especially if you’re working at home, you have the luxury of getting naked whenever you wish. (well, not during Zoom calls, of course). It’s fun, it’s self-indulgent, and it can be good for you too.
- Aids hormone production – Body temperature and hormones are linked. When you are hot and sweating in clothing, especially when you are sleeping, hormone production can become blocked. This can disrupt everything from skin beauty to bone density, and especially the repair of tissues.
- Reduces sweating – Costhetics is normally pro-sweat because it rids the body of toxins. When it comes to clothing-covered skin, however, sweat is not your friend. When it can’t evaporate, sweat can clog pores and cause breakouts.
- Decreases likelihood of skin disorders – Exposing your skin to the air is one of the best and easiest ways to reduce the risk of developing skin disorders and even diseases.
- Helps keep stress at bay – clothing affects body temperature, which can affect the release and growth of stress hormones like cortisol.
- Cuddling without clothing – The sensation of skin against skin can range from comforting to stimulating. This specific type of contact helps release oxytocin, the feel-good hormone that can help improve bonding and reduce stress too.
- More sex with less clothes – One survey reports that those who sleep in the nude are twice as likely to have sex with their partner. In terms of frequency, this is 8 times per month versus 4.
- Express your inner ‘naked baby’ – Many of us are fortunate to remember happy childhoods. Part of that happiness was being free … untethered … naked. Taking off our clothes takes us back to those feelings. A research study paper reported that by simply spending more time naked, “an individual can increase their body image, self-esteem, and life satisfaction.”
Can We Get Personal?
The nether regions of the human body need airing out on a daily basis. Excess heat, often caused by clothing, can lead to vaginal issues and yeast infections in women. The high temperature throws off pH balance too. In men, a decreased sperm count has been associated with testicles that are over-heated.
Spending time naked allows fresh air to circulate across your body. Without the impediment of clothing, your body will naturally work to reduce sweat and unwanted moisture, and kill unwanted bacteria too.
Take the Challenge and Get Naked for Beautiful Skin
In 2020, the Sleep Naked Challenge brought attention to the skin benefits of sleeping in the nude. The challenge noted that in addition to other advantages, sleeping in the nude can:
- Allow skin to air out and breathe
- Allow moisturisers to sink in and quench dry skin rather than rub off on pyjamas
- Improve sleep quality to facilitate skin repair and recovery
In the words of one dermatologist, “To maximise your experience sleeping naked, I recommend moisturising just before going to bed so your skin can get a boost of restorative hydration while your sleep.” (Source: PRNewswire)
Why Millions of Millennials Sleep in the Nude
Sleeping nude is one of the easiest ways to give your skin some rest from the stress of being clothed all day. Millennials who pride themselves in doing what’s easy have wholeheartedly embraced this idea. USA Today reported on a poll at a mattress review site that found 65% of millennials sleep in the nude.
What’s the allure? Millennials surveyed by the company Mattress Advisor pointed to these top 3 reasons:
- It’s comfortable
- It’s relaxing
- I sleep better
This is in sharp contrast to Baby Boomers. Only 1-in-3 Boomers sleeps in the buff. Why the difference? Ageing boomers say being naked makes them uneasy because:
- Modesty (it’s the way I was raised)
- Comfort (I get cold easily)
- Fear of being naked in case of an emergency
The One Person You Can’t Hide From
Many people Costhetics talked to for this article admitted they try to never look at themselves naked. They hide their bodies under clothing, hang mirrors up high, and keep lights down low. This leads to a complete and, to be frank, unhealthy disconnect. Allowing yourself to be naked at home more often even when you’re not in bed will help you get comfortable with how your body actually looks. This will help you think of it as normal, rather than something to be hidden away.
This is where things get really interesting. As you grow more comfortable with your body and how you look, you may find yourself becoming more comfortable with everything in your life. Those feelings don’t just stop with you. They grow. Over time, you are likely to be more accepting of others too, in the best possible way. As you free yourself from clothing, you also free yourself from judgement.
Costhetics Loves Seeing You Naked
Getting familiar with your body may motivate you to make changes in your lifestyle. It may inspire you to try dermal fillers for wrinkles, or even cosmetic surgery to change your body contours. Or you may simply come to realise that you love yourself just the way you are.
Are there changes you know you’d like to make, but don’t know where to start? We invite you to start with Costhetics. Contact us for the guidance you need to find a doctor in your area.